The Cuba is a building of Norman architecture that was built at the behest of William II in 1180 in order to be used as a resting place, especially during the hottest hours, but soon became the place of leisure for the Norman kings of Sicily.
The single quadrangular plan with four towers is divided into three parts, with no private flats, and unfortunately has suffered serious damage over the centuries due to collapses, also due to its intended use: it is known to have been used both as a Lazaretto and as a barracks.
The Castle is also called ‘Cuba sottana’ in order to distinguish it from the ‘Cuba soprana’, now incorporated in the 18th-century Villa Di Napoli, and from the ‘Piccola Cuba’, both located in the Genoardo Royal Park.
As for the exterior, the walls are thick and the windows few, probably due to climatic factors given the very high temperatures reached there. The walls are also adorned with ogival blind arcades.
The Castle of Cuba is easy to visit as it is located in the ancient town north of Palermo, where the ancient Phoenician-Punic necropolis of Panormos can also be seen.
The cost of the entrance ticket is €2 full, €1 reduced 18-25 years and free for under-18s, teachers and university students. The entrance ticket also allows access to the Punic necropolis.