Taormina Cathedral was built on the ruins of a pre-existing religious building. Dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari, it represents the austere medieval style with crowning battlements and a bell tower that make it resemble a building built to guard something or someone really precious. A mix of as many as three architectural styles come together in him: the pure Sicilian style, with Gothic and Roman.
Although its exterior resembles a fortress, its structure is simple. A Latin cross with three naves. Between them, in the two side aisles are the six minor altars. The columns are monolithic and made of pink Taormina marble, all with extremely ornate, leaf and fish-scale capitals, which support the nave composed of wooden beams.
It was restored in 1636, when a very large Renaissance-style rose window was added, which we still see today.