The Sperlinga Castle was built under Norman supremacy in the 12th century on a rocky outcrop in the village of Sperlinga, in the province of Enna. It was finished in 1283.
The urban center that we still know today was built in the 17th century right at the foot of the castle. In front of the walls, the first church dedicated to the Madonna della Mercede was erected in the 18th century, which was rebuilt in 1995 after a partial demolition of the site back in 1914.
The Sperlinga Castle does not have a regular planimetry, in fact its 200-meters long and 15-meters wide change based on each body of building. At the top, the dimensions range from 40 meters in length to seven meters in width.
The body was built on the rock and in the ground floor there are corridors leading to the first floor and the baronial rooms. Visually, the western part of the castle closely looks like the prow of a ship.
In addition to the various baronial rooms, part of the castle was dedicated to cells and cisterns.