Situated in the artistic Piazza Purgatorio, Santa Rosalia’s church represents one of the finest examples of Baroque architecture in the city of Agrigento. It is dedicated to Santa Rosalia who belonged to the order of the Collegine Sisters and stopped the plague in 1626.
The interior of the church is a visual synthesis of beautiful 18th-century stucco decorations and works of art by Domenico Provenzani. Otherwise, the original and rounded sandstone tufa façade was never restored after the war, when it was dismantled to allow restoration of the perimeter walls. What remains today from the ancient splendour is a red brick wall, interposed with reinforced concrete slabs.
Recently refinement works have been requested in order to restore the church and bring it back to its original beauty by proposing the installation of an artistic cloth to cover the brick wall. This solution has been adopted to remedy the lack of a façade and give to the church an aesthetically pleasing appearance. In the cloth there will be a print of the design of the frontispiece and will be made inside the Academy. The initiative will be carried out in collaboration with the Archdiocese of Agrigento.