Piazza Vincenzo Bellini in Catania used to be called Piazza Santa Maria di Nuovaluce, because of the church of the same name that no longer exists.
Today, Piazza Vincenzo Bellini is exactly opposite the Teatro Massimo Comunale ‘Vincenzo Bellini’, opened to the public in 1890 after 17 years of construction. We are talking about a neoclassical style building that is distinguished by its splendid inner hall.
After a long history of conflict, the design of architect Carlo Sada was chosen. Its style is reminiscent of the Second Empire style imposed by Charles Garnier with the Paris Opera.
Its façade is decorated with ornaments and allegories, with an elegant entrance portico. The House of the Mutilated located to the north-east, on the other hand, was inaugurated in 1939. In the centr there is the Dolphin Fountain.