The Capo Santa Croce Lighthouse is located in Augusta, near Syracuse, and was built in 1856 during the Bourbon Kingdom.
The Agenzia del Demanio (State Property Agency) has recently decreed that soon, this disused structure, which once served as a maritime signalman, will become a Luxury Lighthouse. It will accommodate travellers as a luxury resort, rich in design elements, within which there will also be a restaurant, a pizzeria, a discotheque and a cinema/theatre.
With a height of 36 metres, the story goes that during the Second World War it served as an observation post for the Regia Marina, until it was abandoned due to bombing. Soon afterwards it came under British rule, finally ending its service in 1979, when its last keeper retired.
Currently, the lighthouse is in operation thanks to an automatic system.