Alicudi is a tiny island of 5 km² with 40 inhabitants that is part of the Aeolian Islands archipelago. It is the most northerly of all, Alicudi of the seven islands appears to be the most unspoilt, suffice it to say that there is no street lighting.
In fact, it is precisely the roads that do not exist, like the banks for example. There are only two grocery stores and a post office on the island and one gets around on foot and by mule.
Alicudi is the island to go to if you want to live in close contact with nature and find yourself, without having to deal with smog, traffic, discos, bars and stress in general!
To visit it, the path starts at Contrada Tonna and arrives at the top of the mound that is actually a now inactive volcano. At the top is Contrada San Bartolo, the ancient centre of Alicudi, which today is the hamlet that houses the church dedicated to the Patron Saints of the Aeolian Islands, built in far-off 1821.
Another contrada is called Pianicello and is inhabited by people who speak German, because they originally came from Switzerland. On this part of the island, electricity provided by photovoltaic systems and rainwater collected on the roofs of the houses is used.
Contrada Sgurbio is on the opposite side and has only five houses, each named after each of the five senses.